March 3, 2023

CSP Completes its Technical Assistance to Batroun Municipality to Enhance Wastewater Treatment

Batroun is a coastal town in North Lebanon with around 33,000 residents and 2,500 refugees. The existing sewage network only covers about 70% of households and, amidst the ongoing socio-economic crisis, the municipality lacks the funds to connect the remaining 30%. The resulting environmental and health hazards are affecting local tourism and fueling growing intercommunal tensions. In response, USAID’s Community Support Program (CSP) constructed 1,323 linear meters of sewage pipes to connect 126 households in three underserved neighborhoods in Batroun to the main sewage line. CSP has also installed three pumping stations to lift the wastewater from the assisted neighborhoods to the main sewage line. This USAID assistance has eliminated the flooded wastewater, reduced the risk of contaminated underground water, and is reducing health hazards and related frustrations for 10,760 residents in the targeted neighborhoods. To sustain this intervention, on February 20, 2023, CSP completed its training to five municipal workers on the safe operation and maintenance of the wastewater pumps and best practices related to the waste generated. Following the training, CSP delivered guidelines, tip sheets, and checklists, for future reference on operation and maintenance of the provided equipment.

“The training was essential for all workers who operate the water pumping stations in order to avoid mistakes that may affect the sustainability of this intervention,” said Georges Sader, engineer at Batroun municipality.



Subscribe to our latest newsletter.